Saturday, February 04, 2006

R.I.P.

So I just read in the Times that Betty Friedan died today. Rarely, do I care when celebrities die, particularly when those who have lived long lives, but I have to say reading about Friedan really bummed me out. She was a large part of why I wanted to attend an all-women's college and influenced the tone of my personal statement. Strangely, my advisor at Smith also was fascinated by Friedan, spending the better part of the 1990s working on a biography of her life. Anyway, on less personal note, I thought it was interesting that the article mentioned: "Despite all of her later achievements, Ms. Friedan would be forever known as the suburban housewife who started a revolution with "The Feminine Mystique." Rarely has a single book been responsible for such sweeping, tumultuous and continuing social transformation." Definitely fit with our discussion of Harriet Beecher Stowe.

1 comment:

rebeccaonion said...

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't heard yet. Andrea Dworkin, Betty Friedan, Wendy Wasserstein...Bad year for feminism.

Also, it's interesting that Emily Bazelon, who writes about legal stuff for Slate, was the family spokeswoman. I'm going to ask my friend who works there whether Betty ever came into the office.