Saturday, May 27, 2006

dog puncher in the yukon

quote from _a dog-puncher in the yukon_, by arthur walden (1928):

"The theaters [in the Yukon during the Gold Rush] were good, bad, and indifferent. We had a troupe that was wintering there, and they gave a series of old plays that were really very well done. Of course 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' had to be given. I had seen this several times in my life, but I never saw the parts of Eliza and Simon Legree so well done. I can't say as much for the pack of bloodhounds. They were represented by a Malamute puppy, drawn across the stage in a sitting position by an invisible wire and yelling his full displeasure to the gods. The ice was represented by newspapers. Eliza acted her part exceptionally well on the newspapers, having seen people actually cross floating ice."

3 comments:

Dr. D'Orsogna said...

Did you get my voice mail about the people connected to the Iditarod?

rebeccaonion said...

Yes! Thank you! I don't know if I'd be able to get up to Wasilla - it's a bit north of Anchorage, I think, and since of course I have no car capacity it's kind of a big deal to get places - but I may get in touch with them anyway to see if they can recommend anything for me to read, or whatever.

Andrew Jones said...

You should definitely visit Wales, AK on the extreme Western tip. I hear it's lovely this time of year...