Monday, January 15, 2007

List of demands

This is X-posted from my blog, but I thought some of y'all interested in race/class identity might be interested:



This is Saul Williams's video for "List of Demands (Reparations)," the single off his last album, which was produced by Trent Reznor. I think the song is pretty genius. What I don't think is genius is the video below, which is a flaccid, cutesy cover of the song as done by Jenny Wilson and Robyn.



The cover completely deflates the aggression of the original. And, while I'm normally all for covers, this one treads on some dangerous political territory. I'm sure Jenny Wilson and Robyn are genuinely in awe of the original piece -- imitation remaining the highest form of flattery. However, style in sometimes does dictate substance, and I think this is one such instance. Breathy indie pop in its current incarnations really can't say anything that significant about U.S. race relations.

No comments: