Monday, January 22, 2007

Cash rules everything around me

FYI re: the filthy-lucre goals of the undergrads. I thought they were all about sex, but boy, was I wrong!

My "nostalgic alarmist" bells and tin cans started clanging as soon as this article tripped my mental perimeter. This article makes explicit ref to the idea that today's kids are more materialistic than in previous years. But I wonder whether people aren't just more comfortable with defining themselves as materialistic. Or whether these pollsters were asking different people. Or different questions. Or whatever. I think those gold-rushers were as materialistic as any ipodder of today.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I would also say the article seems to be echoing the backlash against so-called "permissive parenting" that happened in the mid-20th century (Momism, Generation of Vipers, etc.).