Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Given the name of this blog...


I figure someone should say something about Jerry Falwell and how he managed to extend Sacvan Bercovitch's thesis into the 21st century. I can't think of anyone who mastered the jeremiad in my lifetime better than Falwell. Remember that hs said that 9/11 happened because the US is to secular with its gays and other sinners.

I also can't think of anyone else whose death I've been happy about. What a prick. Anyway, most of you will recognize this ad as the one Falwell took Larry Flynt to court for (it made it to the Supreme Court and Flynt won), claiming that Falwell lost his virginity to his mother in an outhouse.

Long live free speech!

2 comments:

rebeccaonion said...

That is freaking hilarious, especially the punch line: "Of course - you don't think I could sling all that bullshit sober, do you?"

Carly said...

Tangential: I highly recommend the documentary the Eyes of Tammy Faye, which reveals that Tammy Faye is an amazing human being who I want to hang out with, and Jerry Falwell is a manipulative, two-faced weasel.